MONROE, Ga. -- A local hospital is under investigation after a girl who has autism was burned while in their care.

As 11Alive reported on Thursday, Mariah Cole’s mother said her daughter was scalded while taking a shower by herself – something she hadn’t done before.

Mariah then fell backwards, hit her head and the water just kept hitting her. She now has second-degree burns covering 20 percent of her body.

“Ninety seconds. Can you imagine sitting for 90 seconds and counting to yourself, as a parent, knowing that your child is being burned,” her mother said.

After 11Alive’s report aired on Thursday, the Department of Community Health said they decided to launch an investigation.