CLAYTON COUNTY, GA - Police have arrested a man accused of dragging an officer who was pinned inside the door of a car.
The incident happened around 4:30 Tuesday morning in the area of QuikTrip Way and Forest Parkway in Ellenwood.
Police said the officer went to check on 40-year-old Charles Nile who was lying on the ground near the vehicle. When he woke up, the officer said he was impaired. After ignoring commands to stop, he entered the vehicle.
Police said the officer tried to physically stop Nile, but got pinned in the process. She got stuck in the car door and was dragged about 100 ft. before she was able to free herself.
Extra police units were called to assist and Nile was located heading North on I-675. During the chase, police said Nile exited the highway and hit a parked tractor-trailer on Lunsford Drive near Anvilblock Road. He then got out of the car and ran away. He was arrested shortly after.
Nile faces a list of charges including:
• Aggravated Assault
• Leaving the Scene of an Accident
• Felony Obstruction of an Officer (2 Counts)
• Fleeing/Attempting to Elude Police Officers for a Felony
• Reckless Driving
• Theft by Receiving Stolen Property
• Driving on the Wrong Side of the Road
• Striking a Parked Vehicle (2 Counts)
• Driving Under the Influence
• Concealing the Identity of a Motor Vehicle
• Failure to Obey an Officer
Photos | Mug shot
Mug Shot Photos