CHAMBLEE, Ga. - An early morning fire ripped through the Ashford Gardens apartments early Tuesday morning.
Capt. Eric Jackson with Dekalb Fire-Rescue said they initially responded around 2:30 a.m. to a fire call with people possibly entrapped, but fortunately everyone made it out the burning building safely. When firefighters arrived on scene the fire was burning through the roof across the building unit and in the attic space according to the Capt.
Heavy fire rips through Dekalb Co. apartments
The apartment complex is located at 2230 Plaster Road. At least 48 apartment units sustained fire, smoke or water damage while at least a hundred residents looked on as the blaze was brought under control.
One resident said the heavy smoke woke him up. "I thought somebody was barbecuing or something, it was so strong. I got up and thought something is burning, it might be the kitchen stove or something. I go outside and the whole area is filled with smoke. I go knocking on people's doors and tell them to 'Get out, Get out,'" said Julio Griffin.
Firefighters are now monitoring hot spots. The American Red Cross will provide assistance to everyone who needs a place to stay. No injuries were reported.