Atlanta fire crews responded to a chemical spill that caused a small explosion inside a building on the Georgia Tech campus Thursday morning.
The spill was reported inside the Environmental Science and Technology Building on Ferst Drive, which was evacuated. One minor injury was reported.
One student told 11Alive News that a fire alarm sounded and students were told to evacuate the building immediately. The following e-mail was then sent telling students to evacuate the entire campus, but a Georgia Tech official said it was done so in error:
ATLANTA CAMPUS, EMERGENCY ALERT. Evacuate campus immediately and tune to local media for additional information.
"A follow-up message has been sent to advise the campus of the error and there is no need to evacuate the campus. Georgia Tech will conduct an investigation to determine why the emergency notification message was sent in error," said a statement by Matt Nagel of Georgia Tech.
A hazardous materials team suited up to make a safe entry into the second floor lab, where the spill originated.
Fire officials said they believe three chemicals in all spilled inside the building, sparking the small blast.