ATLANTA -- With Tuesday's news of renovations at Philips Arena, there are now two brand new stadiums and one renovation going on at the same time in metro Atlanta. And that's not cheap for local taxpayers.
For the Braves' Suntrust Park in Cobb County, estimates are around $400 million. The new Mercedes Benz Dome weighs in at around $200 million. Now renovations to Philips Arena are estimated at $142.5 million.
That's a total of $742.5 million toward sports venue projects in and around Atlanta.
And that combined price tag has many people asking what else that money could buy. So 11Alive's Kaitlyn Ross went shopping.
Think of it like this. The same price tag could:
- hire 14,000 teachers into Georgia classrooms at $53,035 each
- add 225 new 5 acre parks at $3.3 million each
- hire 19,800 police officers at $37,500
- hire 14,500 emergency medical technicians at $51,206.90
- purchase 1,060 fully-equipped fire trucks at $700,471.70
- fix 7,425,000 pot holes at $100 each.
- pay the governor's salary of more than 139,000 until the year 7444
But say you didn't want to help the city at all and wanted to keep all that money for yourself. Looking at the population of metro Atlanta that would mean everyone gets a check for $130.
That's about 50 cups of coffee each - plenty of caffeine to keep us cheering for those Atlanta teams we clearly care so much about.
© 2017 WXIA-TV