MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. -- A Milledgeville man is in stable condition after having his left leg amputated, below the knee, on Thursday afternoon.
The man, Paul Bales, found out he would need part of his leg amputated on Wednesday due to it being infected with flesh eating bacteria.
That's according to the man's son, Mike Bales of Dacula. He said his dad Paul Bales lives on Lake Sinclair near Milledgeville and injured his leg when he slipped and fell on his dock May 2.
MORE | Special coverage of flesh eating bacteria cases
Paul Bales bandaged the cut and went golfing the next day but started feeling pain in his leg.
He was admitted to the Oconee Regional Medical Center on May 5, then sent to the Medical Center of Central Georgia a week later.
Mike Bales says doctors have told the family that his father suffers from necrotizing fasciitis, the same flesh eating bacteria that struck University of West Georgia grad student Aimee Copeland and at least two others in the Southeast.
"He's gotten to be stable, but they can't get the infection from his leg," Mike Bales said.
Medical Center spokeswoman said Paul Bales is in stable condition but would not comment further.