COLUMBUS, Ga. -- The man convicted in one of Georgia's most infamous cases of murder and sexual assault is seeking another trial 26 years after he was condemned to death.
Carlton M. Gary filed a motion Monday asking for another trial in what's known as the "Stocking Strangler" slayings in Columbus.
Gary's 34-page motion contends DNA testing proves his innocence. Gary says DNA found on victim Martha Thurmond wasn't his.
Defense attorneys previously said a partial DNA profile excluded Gary from the rape of the only person to survive an attack and identify him in court.
A prosecutor declined comment on the motion.
Gary was convicted in 1986 in three of the seven brutal rapes and stranglings that terrorized Columbus in 1977 and 1978.