2013 Ford Escape (Detroit Free Press)
DETROIT -- Owners of some new 2013 Ford Escapes are being told not to drive their vehicles because the engines -- the highly acclaimed 1.6-liter EcoBoost - can catch fire.
The automaker is recalling 11,500 new Escapes in the U.S. and Canada after three fires were reported, one by a customer and two at the plant. No injuries were reported.
The problem is the fuel line leading to the engine compartment can split under pressure at a portion of the line that has been scored. The potential leak only affects Escapes with the 1.6-liter 4-cylinder EcoBoost engine built from April through July 11 of this year.
Owners are advised not to drive their vehicle and to contact their dealer who will deliver a loaner vehicle and pick up the Escape for repair, said Ford spokeswoman Marcey Zwiebel.
The repair is a quick remove and replace and should take less an hour. Zwiebel said it appears there are enough parts in stock to fix all affected vehicles within two weeks. Of the 11,500 recalled vehicles, only 4,800 had been sold. The rest are dealer stock.
The recall affects all the Escapes made for sale from early April until July 11 but also some pre-production models that are used for employee evaluation, press fleets and other pre-sale uses.
This is the second recall for the all-new Escape that has been completely redesigned and is a key global vehicle for the automaker. It will be rolled out in other countries as the Ford Kuga.
On the weekend, Ford recalled 11,000 2013 Escapes built from March 8 to June 7 because of tight clearance around the foot pedals. If a driver's foot got caught, it could reduce braking time.
Ford retooled its Lousville plant to make the new Escape - the previous generation was made in Kansas City. Zwiebel said none of the issues are plant related.
(Detroit Free Press)