ATLANTA -- Eight schools in Georgia have earned one of the country's top honors for academic excellence.
They are among 269 schools nationwide to be named 2012 National Blue Ribbon Schools by the U.S. Department of Education.
U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan named the 219 public and 50 private schools Friday. They will be honored during a recognition ceremony in Washington, D.C. in November.
"Our nation has no greater responsibility than helping all children realize their full potential," Duncan said in a statement. "Schools honored with the National Blue Ribbon Schools award are committed to accelerating student achievement and preparing students for success in college and careers. Their work reflects the conviction that every child has promise and that education is the surest pathway to a strong, secure future."
Georgia's 2012 National Blue Ribbon Schools are:
* Austell Intermediate School, Powder Springs
* Britt David Magnet Academy, Columbus
* Chase Street Elementary School, Athens
* Crabapple Crossing Elementary School, Milton
* Fairmount Elementary School, Fairmount
* First Presbyterian Day School-Middle School, Macon
* Kittredge Magnet School, Brookhaven
* Simpson Elementary School, Norcross
See the full list of National Blue Ribbon Schools.