CHAMBLEE, Ga. -- The feeling that 'something did not seem right' led DeKalb County firefighters to take three steps Wednesday afternoon that prevented what could have been a much bigger fire early Thursday.
Wednesday afternoon, fire units responded to a smoke smell at the The Avenues Apartments in the 2000 block of the Northeast Expressway. After a through search, they found no fire and the smoke dissipated.
Assistant Dekalb Fire Chief Steve Ham said "Things didn't seem right" so residents were evacuated to temporary housing, electrical power to the building was cut off and a fire crew was left at the scene to monitor the situation.
The hunch paid off early Thursday when smoke once again came from the building. A full response of firefighters was called in and this time the source of the fire was located.
Chief Ham said the fire was electrical in origin. Because the building is old, he said, there were a lot of voids within the walls which complicated the search for the source of the fire.