CHICAGO -- Investigators in Chicago have a mystery to solve after new toxicology tests show a Chicago man ingested a lethal dose of cyanide just as he was about to collect nearly $425,000 in lottery winnings.
The July death of 46-year-old Urooj Khan was recently ruled a homicide after a relative asked for an expanded investigation. Chicago police say they've opened a homicide investigation.
Khan died July 20, a day after the check for his scratch-off ticket win was issued. He bought the ticket at a 7-Eleven near his two-story home in West Rogers Park, a neighborhood on Chicago's North Side. He is survived by a wife and a daughter.
The Cook County medical examiner says Khan's body likely will be exhumed as part of the investigation.