LIVE VIDEO: 11 Alive News at 6PM    Watch
 

Snellville home destroyed by kitchen fire

8:44 PM, Feb 4, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

SNELLVILLE, Ga. -- A house caught fire in Snellville on Monday afternoon shortly after 3:00.

The blaze destroyed the entire home, but no injuries were reported, according to the Lt. Colin Rhoden of the Gwinnett County Department.

Rhoden said the fire broke out at 3300 South Hampton Way.

A female homeowner told fire officials that when she came home, she saw flames coming out of the door on the right side of the home. She got help from a neighbor, and found that the flames had fully taken over the kitchen.

The home is a single-story house, which sat about 150 feet from the street. When firefighters first got to the scene, they found heavy smoke and fire damage to the home's right side. Upon fighting the fire, they worked to put out the flames at the front door towards the center.

Firefighters were able to beat back the fire before it reached the other side, which is where the bedrooms were located.

The fire crew had to travel a long distance to arrive to the home, Rhoden said, and they also had to deal with other hazards of a downed live power line and the free-flowing gas service to the home which was invaded with fire.

Firefighters disconnected the gas lines, and the power company came to disconnect power to the home.

The family lost their dog to the fire, a 120-pound hound. The fire crew pet was found dead in the home.

A Gwinnett County Fire Investigator determined the origin of the fire to be the stove, but has yet determined the cause.

Most Watched Videos