LIVE VIDEO: Atlanta Alive    Watch

Resource Page: What you need to know about falling trees

6:02 PM, Mar 6, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

When Your Tree Falls in Your Neighbor's Yard

If a neighbor's property is damaged by your tree, he should file a claim with HIS insurance company. If the tree damages your neighbor's house or garage, his homeowners policy will generally.

But in most cases, nobody's insurance policy will pay if the tree falls but doesn't hit anything.

Tree falls over Property Line: Who Pays? Who picks up the Pieces?
If a neighbor's tree falls over your property line, file an insurance claim for repair and clean-up If there is no house damage, check to see if chopping and hauling debris is covered. You neighbor is only responsible if they realized the tree was a hazard and did not remedy the problem.

How to Recognize Hazardous Defects in Trees
The US Department of Agriculture

Recognize if your tree shows signs of the following potential defects that could all eventually cause a tree to fall. Dead Wood , Cracks, Weak Branch Unions, Decay, Cankers, Root Problems, Poor Tree Architecture

City of Atlanta - Department of Planning & Community Development

The city of Atlanta provides an application for a Tree Removal Permit for Dead, Dying, Diseased or Hazardous Trees. This form can help you to be proactive in avoiding a diseased from tree falling on your property or a neighbors.


Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Office
Homeowners Tips for Severe Weather Damage

* Keep your insurance policy numbers and your agent's phone number in a safe place as well.
* If disaster strikes, contact your agent or insurance company immediately.
* Protect your property from further damage. For example, if your roof is damaged, cover it with a tarp to prevent water damage from subsequent rain. Most policies will not cover such damage.
* Make sure you understand the difference between actual cash value (ACV) and replacement cost coverage for your contents, and obtain the coverage that best suits your needs.

If you have questions about property insurance, you may call a representative of Commissioner Hudgens' Consumer Services Division at 404-656-2070 or toll-free at 1-800-656-2298.

Most Watched Videos