Father, son die from carbon monoxide poisoning

6:57 PM, Mar 28, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

EAST POINT, Ga. -- A father and his 11-year-old son were killed after being exposed to carbon monoxide in their East Point home.

The bodies of 40-year-old Sederick Baliem Sr. and 11-year-old Sederick Baliem III were found in their Graywall Street home at around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Two other children -- 2-year-old Shanese Baliem and 13-year-old Sederick Baliem Jr. -- were in the home and were taken to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston. A family friend said the two were later taken to Doctors Hospital of Augusta, where they are in critical yet stable condition.

East Point firefighters believe the deaths and injuries were caused by exhaust from a gas generator in the home's basement. Crews said the carbon monoxide was so strong, they were overcome when they went inside.

Power to the home was cut off on Monday, and the generator was being used to keep the lights on. Firefighters believe there were no working carbon monoxide detectors in the home.

According to reports, Sederick Baliem Sr. was behind in payments to East Point Power and had been trying to set up a payment plan.

Speaking for East Point Power, City of East Point spokesperson James Hammond said the city had spoken to the elder Mr. Baliem to try to work out a payment plan.

"We met with Mr. Baliem several times in the past few months, but could not come to an agreement," Hammond told 11Alive's Jerry Carnes. Hammond went on to say that the city had referred Baliem to several agencies to help him pay the family's bills.

Neighbors told 11Alive News that Sederick Baliem III was a member of the Beta Club and a starting point guard on the basketball team at Hamilton E. Holmes Elementary School.

Most Watched Videos