Resource Page: Ways to Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Home

6:05 PM, Mar 28, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Under carbon monoxide suspicion, immediately call 9-1-1.

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Tips:

Never use a generator inside homes, garages, crawlspaces, sheds, or similar areas.  Deadly levels of carbon monoxide can quickly build up in these areas and can linger for hours, once the generator has shut off.

Install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector and replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.

When purchasing gas equipment, buy only equipment carrying the seal of a national testing agency, such as the CSA Group.

Avoid portable flameless chemical heaters indoors.  They burn gas and can cause a carbon monoxide build up inside your home.

Consider purchasing a vented space heater when replacing an unvented one.

Use proper fuel in kerosene space heaters.

Do not idle the car inside garage.

Open flues when fireplaces are in use.

Environmental Protection Agency
Location: 61 Forsyth St SW Atlanta, GA 30303
Phone: 404-562-9900

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Location: 1600 Clifton Rd. Atlanta, GA 30333
Phone: 1-800-232-4636
Carbon Monoxide Fact Sheet

Most Watched Videos