ATLANTA -- Police say commercial-grade pyrotechnics caused a fire when a man opened a package at the Veterans Empowerment Thrift Shop on Memorial Drive in the Edgewood section of Atlanta Tuesday afternoon.
Atlanta police released an update Wednesday saying the package probably ignited due to static electricity.
The package was in a parcel that the thrift store had for approximately two months with no issues until it was handled by volunteers working in the store.
An Atlanta Fire Department spokesperson says a worker was burned on his face and arm. The worker was taken to the hospital and is stable. Three other workers were inside the store but were not hurt.
Investigators say the package was not a bomb. One investigator told 11 Alive's Kevin Rowson "the package had toys in it and some kind of either fireworks or pyrotechnic device. When the victim opened the box it flared up."
The investigator told Rowson there was no device inside the box and it doesn't appear that someone was being targeted.
The store is run by the Veterans Empowerment Organization of Georgia, Inc.
The organization provides transitional housing for homeless vets.
This is their only store, staffed solely by volunteers.
Memorial Drive was closed outside the shopping center where the thrift store is located near Maynard Terrace. It was shut down for almost four hours.