LIVE VIDEO: 11 Alive News at 10PM    Watch
 

Kendrick Johnson's parents ask for coroner's inquest

11:44 PM, Oct 24, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

VALDOSTA, Ga. -- The parents of Kendrick Johnson and their attorneys filed a formal request asking a judge to order a coroner's inquest into their son's death in January.

So far, the coroner has refused to re-open this case on his own.

Instead, he stands by the GBI autopsy that shows the 17-year-old student-athlete accidentally suffocated inside a rolled up mat in the Lowndes High School gym while trying to retrieve his sneaker.

But private investigators hired by the family said the teen was murdered.

RELATED | Kendrick Johnson's parents talk to 11Alive
WAS KENDRICK MURDERED? | Second autopsy questions death

The teen's parents, Kenneth and Jacquelyn Johnson, want investigators to release surveillance video taken inside the school gym on the day their son died. So far, only a short clip of the video has been made public. The Johnsons think the whole video will show exactly what happened to Kendrick.

Officials have said they must wait for consent from other minors in the video before they can release it.

The U.S. Attorney has the video and is reviewing the case.

The SCLC in south Georgia is offering a $10,000 reward for information in Johnson's death.

Most Watched Videos