ATLANTA -- The cost of the new Atlanta Falcons stadium jumped by twenty percent Monday. The cost announced to a committee of the Georgia World Congress Center Authority is now $1.2 billion.
Falcons president and CEO Rich McKay attributed the increase to the building's "iconic design." McKay said the Falcons expect to pay the added cost. "It's money that I think we contemplated from the beginning," McKay said.
The stadium will have programmable exterior lighting to fit the event. Much of the lighting focus is indoors, where outdoor light will flood in from translucent walls and windows that surround the stadium.
TAKE A LOOK | Final Designs for Atlanta Falcons New Stadium
The authority must approve the final designs by the end of the month.
MORE COVERAGE OF THE NEW FALCONS STADIUM
- Continuing coverage of the debate over the new stadium
- Poll: Do you like the latest stadium design?
- Parking lot owner asks $12 million for stadium site
- Neighborhoods search for ways to spend stadium windfall
- Neighbors hope Falcons stadium deals will help community