ATLANTA -- On this Thanksgiving, we look back at eleven things we're thankful for this year in metro Atlanta:
11. Let's start with some recent acts for which we're thankful. This past week, when Hosea Feed the Hungry declared it was short 500 turkeys, groups rallied within hours to fill the gap.
10. We are thankful the tolls finally came down on Georgia 400. By next Thanksgiving, the toll plaza itself should be a distant memory.
9. We are thankful this year for the many members of the military who came home from overseas. They reunited with their spouses, kids, and in one case, a missing dog.
8. We are so thankful for the success of our sports teams this season. OK, maybe that one is more suited for this past Thanksgiving. But despite the various team struggles, individual successes have shined through -- like Evan Gattis' rise to popularity on the Braves and Aaron Murray's record-breaking (though early-ending) final season at Georgia.
7. The city did host one monumental sporting event: the Final Four. Atlanta thrived in the spotlight about as much as national champ Louisville.
6. We are thankful that metro Atlanta continues to be Hollywood South, with sequels to Anchorman and Dumb and Dumber among the many films shooting in the Peach State.
5. Our region raised its profile as a location for music, hosting 140,000 for Tomorrow World and bringing two days of big-name bands to Music Midtown.
4. On the weather front, we got a lot of rain this year ... but that did bring our lakes and streams up to normal levels.
3. But what makes us proudest at 11Alive, in this sprawled area, is the heroism of individuals. In March, two pre-teens, Rocky and Ethan, used CPR to save an eleven-week old baby.
2. In July, good Samaritans reached down into the MARTA tracks to rescue a man who had fallen in.
1. And throughout the year, we saw residents throughout the metro area and the world embrace and support the people whose tragic accidents captured our hearts: Tripp Halstead, Aimee Copeland, and Emily Bowman.
Related Holiday Stories:
* Black Friday 2013 hours, deals and reviews
* Best apps for holiday travels
* Trouble in Toyland - Potential Hazards
* Macy's at Lenox Square to use fake Christmas tree
* Neiman Marcus reveals 2013 Christmas Book
* The Red Cross 2013 Holiday Mail for Heroes campaign