Artist rendering of new $1-bil. Atlanta Falcons stadium
ATLANTA -- Monday afternoon, the Atlanta City Council voted to approve a plan worth up to $30 million for the development of communities surrounding the new Atlanta Falcons stadium.
The plan will help three communities near the site of the new stadium -- English Avenue, Vine City and Castleberry Hill.
SLIDESHOW | New Falcons stadium designs
The neighborhoods were all promised financial help when the Georgia Dome was first built.
The areas received more than $100 million in community improvement grants, but City Councilman Michael Bond says promises of development failed and those neighborhoods have struggled to recover.
Bond says nearly all of that money went down the drain and he's vowing to not let that happen again.
More New Falcons Stadium Coverage:
- Stadium cost jumps to $1.2 billion
- Parking lot owner asks $12 million for stadium site
- Neighborhoods search for ways to spend stadium windfall
- No more broken promises for new Falcons stadium neighbors?
- Friendship Baptist votes "Yes" to stadium deal
- Mount Vernon church approves $14.5 million deal