Thousands of people were stranded in their vehicles during a snow storm in metro Atlanta on Jan. 28, 2014.
Don't be caught in your vehicle unprepared for a winter storm. The Georgia Emergency Management Agency has a list of items you should have loaded in your car before a storm.
According to AAA, you should pack:
- Mobile phone with emergency numbers (fully charged battery with charger)
- Drinking water
- First aid kit
- A bag of abrasive material (sand, salt, cat litter)
- Snow shovel and ice scraper
- Blankets and extra warm clothing
- Flashlight with extra battery
- Jumper cables
- Basic tool kit
- Critical medication
Also be sure to have at least 3/4 full tank of gasoline.
Residents are also reminded to park their vehicles away from trees. Even after the storm is over, trees can uproot and fall over.
If a tree is over a bedroom, have those people sleep in a room out of potential harm's way.