ATLANTA – It’s an all-too-familiar scene. Beyond the blue, flashing lights and yellow tape strung from one side of sidewalk to the other, an 8-year-old shot in the leg is tended to. Police aren’t giving many details, but the numbers speak volumes about the neighborhood’s lack of safety.
More than 1,000 crimes have been committed in a 16-month span, against the backdrop of a liquor store and multiple churches, as well as children walking home from school. Crimes like more than a dozen homicides, happening in the same neighborhood where the young girl was grazed by a flying bullet.
The girl, whose identity has not been released, was alert, conscious and breathing on the scene when police arrived at 1425 Joseph E. Boone Blvd., NW., on Wednesday around 10:30 p.m.
She was luckier than 13 others who were killed nearby in the past year and four months.
Longtime Atlanta City Councilman Ivory Lee Young, Jr. said the area has always been a challenge.
"Chappelle Road and Boone Boulevard has been a problem for years and some of it deals with responsible ownership. We've got a number of vacant and dilapidated apartment complexes," Young said.
While he acknowledges there are big problems in the community, he pointed out another complex down the road that he believes shows promise of what the future can look like.
Thursday night, Young took part in one of the regularly-scheduled community meetings at Making A Way Housing. Police and city leaders meet with residents to troubleshoot concerns and complaints.
"They've engaged not only their residents but the surrounding community in an active partnership where they are dialoguing with neighbors," Young said. "We are pursuing redevelopment efforts with Making A Way that we feel will be transformative in the long run."
At the same time the councilman said there needs to be a fundamental change in not just the properties around Boone Boulevard and Chappell Road, but also in the people who live there.
"It is such a tragedy that gun violence seems to be a response to resolving conflict. Whatever the conflict, an innocent 8 year old got shot," Young said. "That's not acceptable. Praise the Lord, she wasn't killed."
The Atlanta Police, who are currently investigating the incident, said that the girl was near the intersection of Joseph E. Boone Boulevard and Chappell Road, NW when a bullet grazed her—it’s an area that has seen its fair share of crime in the last year and four months. Including 13 crimes at 1425 Joseph E. Boone Blvd., NW.
According to the APD, there have been 1,071 crimes committed within a one-mile radius from 1425 Joseph E. Boone Blvd., NW, between Jan. 1, 2016 through May 8, 2017—and 261 just on Joseph E Boone Blvd., NW., including rape, burglary and multiple homicides.
One of those was a double shooting and crash in November.
On Nov. 1, 2016, there was a double shooting and crash that happened around 11 p.m.
Police said two men were shot at 1425 Joseph E. Boone Blvd. One of the victims drove his car to 215 Burbank Dr., where he crashed.
Crimes reported at 1425 Joseph E Boone Blvd., NW since January 2016:
- Jan. 3, 2016- Auto theft
- March 23, 2016- Larceny/non-vehicle
- April 1, 2016- Larceny/vehicle
- April 8, 2016- Aggravated assault
- April 17, 2016- Larceny/vehicle
- May 31, 2016- Robbery/pedestrian
- June 21, 2016- Larceny/vehicle
- June 28, 2016- Aggravated assault
- July 12, 2016- Aggravated assault
- Aug. 20, 2016- Larceny/vehicle
- Dec. 1, 2016- Homicide
- Jan. 8, 2017- Larceny/vehicle
- Feb. 16, 2017- Auto theft
Homicides reported in a one-mile radius of 1425 Joseph E Boone Blvd., NW:
- Jan. 22, 2016- 345 Lanier St., NW
- March 7, 2016- 1479 Mozley Place, SW
- May 7, 2016- 295 Joseph E. Lowery Blvd., NW
- May 20, 2016- 535 Elmwood Road, NW
- June 1, 2016- 409 Cairo St., NW
- July 4, 2016- 336 Joseph E. Lowery Blvd., NW
- July 31, 2016- 965 Mayson Turner Road, NW
- Sept. 14, 2016- 350 Chappell Road, NW
- Oct. 28, 2016- 1891 Markone St., NW
- Dec. 1, 2016- 1425 Joseph E Boone Blvd., NW
- Jan. 28, 2017- 1575 Martin L. King Jr. Dr., NW
- Feb. 14, 2017- 1251 North Ave., NW
- May 2, 2017- 308 Simpson Terrance, NW
Other crime reported in a one-mile radius of 1425 Joseph E Boone Blvd., NW:
- Aggravated assaults reported- 222
- Rapes reported- 12
- Burglary/robbery/larceny/thefts reported- 823
© 2017 WXIA-TV