Gunman surrenders after high-speed chase, standoff

LOS ANGELES (KNBC) -- A man armed with what appeared to be a semi-automatic rifle surrendered after an hours-long standoff in North Hollywood that followed a high-speed pursuit on Southern California freeways.

The man directed his rifle at officers during a high-speed pursuit from east of downtown Los Angeles to the San Fernando Valley climbed onto a roof following the chase before barricading himself in a residence until 3 p.m.

The man, wanted in connection with a criminal threats report, came outside of the North Hollywood house with two dogs and laid down on the ground before SWAT officers took him into custody in the backyard, according to Los Angeles police. He was believed to be the only person in the house, according to police.

The manhunt and standoff forced hours-long lockdowns at nine schools and evacuations near the barricade location in the 11600 block of Hartsook Street, just blocks from the Los Angeles Police Department's North Hollywood Station. The armed subject, identified only as a 40-year-old man, is likely within a perimeter established by LAPD patrol officers and SWAT members, according to police.

"We are in the process of containment," said LAPD Lt. Andy Neiman. "We're going to make every attempt we can to make contact with this suspect. We don't want anybody to get hurt here, including the suspect."

The standoff began after a pursuit that reached speeds around 100 mph on several freeways near downtown LA before extending north into the San Fernando Valley. The driver of the Nissan sedan encountered traffic on the northbound 5 Freeway and used the emergency lane next to the center divider to pass several vehicles.

At one point, the man appeared to wave the rifle out a window before exiting the freeway in North Hollywood and stopping on a street near Magnolia Boulevard and Irvine Avenue.

Dressed all in white, the man was carrying the weapon and what appeared to be a clip of ammunition when he sprinted from the car and across several residential yards, then climbed onto the roof of a house. He leaned against the weapon, paced around and kneeled down on the roof before jumping off into a back yard about 15 minutes later.

"It was a little bizarre, how calm he was," a resident said.

There have been no reports of shots fired in the residential area just west of the 170 Freeway, where an LAPD helicopter is overhead.

Authorities have blocked off an area that includes Magnolia Boulevard to the north, Otsego Street to the south, Tujunga Avenue to the east and Colfax Avenue to the west.

Oakwood School, Joyces Toluca Lake Preschool, Walter Reed Middle School, North Hollywood High School and Colfax Charter Elementary School were among the schools locked down during the search. Police established an evacuation plan so parents could pick students up from Oakwood School, which is adjacent to the street on which authorities said the subject is barricaded.

"It was very reassuring to know she was all right," said parent Robin Share, who was texting with her daughter at Oakwood School during the lockdown. "She was in the middle of a final exam and wanted to finish. She's determined."

Aerial video showed children walking hand-in-hand as they were escorted to nearby North Hollywood Park to be reunited with parents. All LAUSD school lockdowns were lifted early Monday afternoon.

The man is wanted in connection with a woman's report of a criminal threat "a few days ago," according to police. He was located Monday morning in El Sereno and fled after encountering officers, Neiman said.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment