Armed robbery charges against Lanier High football player dropped

Charges dropped for Lanier football player

BUFORD, Ga ---- Charges have been dropped against a Lanier High School football player accused of armed robbery early last week.

Colin Burress was arrested and charged with armed robbery on September 5th along with Marcko Baity, Marco Lopez and a juvenile. All of the students, including the victim, attend Lanier High School.  Burress and Baity are teammates on the football team.

The incident took place Labor Day afternoon where there were several 911 calls in regards to a robbery on Skyler Leigh Drive in Buford, Ga. Police questioned the victim, Daniel Morales-Garcia, about the incident and were able to quickly track down the four teenagers after a neighbor showed police a cell phone video of the car driving away.

According to a police report, Morales told police the group of boys pulled up next to him in a car and asked if he had marijuana in which he told them he only had enough for himself. Morales was then forced to get into the vehicle and when he did they stole his book bag. He said he was punched in the face after demanding it back and one of the boys grabbed a pistol and “shoved it in his face.” After getting out of the car Morales said the boys chased him and stole his necklace.

Police say Baity, who was driving the car, admitted the car, book bag and the pellet gun were his.

Burress, Baity and Lopez were taken to Gwinnett County Jail and the juvenile was taken to Gainesville Youth Detention Center.

Prior to the incident Burress committed to Kent State on a football scholarship. Baity, another standout player, had just recently been named offensive player of the week by Gwinnett Daily Post.

Burress was released and according to the Gwinnett County D.A.’s office charges against him were dropped. “As of right now the charges have been dropped due to lack of evidence… that could change in the future,” Chief Assistant District Attorney Dan Mayfield told 11Alive.

Burress has since released a statement on Twitter asking people to respect his privacy. He goes on to say “I would like to thank my family, the community and my friends for having my back through this hard time and process…” 

The Gwinnett County School district said they are working with the family to conclude their investigation into this matter.

Marco Lopez and Marcko Baity are still in the Gwinnett County Jail. Baity’s hearing is set for Thursday morning at the Gwinnett County Magistrate Court.


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment