Police: UGA student died of alcohol poisoning

ATHENS, Ga. -- A 19-year-old University of Georgia student who passed away in January died of acute alcohol toxicity, UGA Police announced Monday.

Michael McClary, of DeKalb County, was found unresponsive in the back seat of a car Jan. 10, while returning to campus after a night out with friends. He was pronounced dead at an Athens-area hospital.

McClary's death has since been ruled accidental. His autopsy was performed at the GBI Crime Lab. His exact blood alcohol content has not been released.

During a January memorial service held at UGA's Reed Hall, where McClary lived, friends shared stories of "Big Mike" and remembered how he always made them laugh.

LIKE 11Alive's Facebook page to get the latest breaking news and weather alerts, plus discuss trending topics!

Download the 11Alive News app to get the latest news while you're on the go! It's free! iTunes | Android


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment