Bodycam footage: Crews rescue disabled man from burning home

Disabled man rescued from house fire

GRANTVILLE, Ga. -- Coweta County first responders worked quickly to save a disabled elderly man from a home fire on Thursday. Now, officials are releasing the body camera footage of that daring Grantville rescue.

The Coweta Fire Department, Sheriff’s Office, and Grantville Police Department rushed to the scene of the fire on Lagrange Street, Thursday morning.

Upon entering the side door of the house, deputies, along with the Coweta Fire Department, were hit with heavy smoke. They soon heard a man screaming for help. 

They soon learned that the man, later identified as Dennis Wayne Renshaw, was wheelchair bound.

Coweta County Fire Department's Craig Sherrer recalled the intense moment with 11Alives’s Deborah Tuff.   

“It was smoke and fire damage," Sherrer said. "Smoke damage completely throughout the residence and fire damage was about 35 to 40 percent of the residence.”

Firefighters began dragging him through the kitchen, out the back door and onto a wheel chair ramp.  

The 70-year-old man had burns to both of his arms.

The three remained on the ramp until a stretcher arrived and picked the victim up to transport him to a landing zone for air transport.

PHOTOS: Bodycam footage shows firefighters rescuing disabled man

Two deputies were taken to the Newnan Piedmont hospital after inhaling smoke.  They were treated and released.

(© 2017 WXIA)


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
More Stories