Neighbor helps families escape destructive apartment fire

An early morning fire ripped through the Ashford Gardens apartments early Tuesday morning. A neighbor helped make sure everyone got out.

CHAMBLEE, Ga. - An early morning fire ripped through the Ashford Gardens apartments early Tuesday morning.
 
Capt. Eric Jackson with Dekalb Fire-Rescue said they initially responded around 2:30 a.m. to a fire call with people possibly entrapped, but fortunately everyone made it out the burning building safely. When firefighters arrived on scene the fire was burning through the roof across the building unit and in the attic space according to the Capt.
 

 
The apartment complex is located at 2230 Plaster Road. At least 48 apartment units sustained fire, smoke or water damage while at least a hundred residents looked on as the blaze was brought under control.
 
One resident said the heavy smoke woke him up. "I thought somebody was barbecuing or something, it was so strong. I got up and thought something is burning, it might be the kitchen stove or something. I go outside and the whole area is filled with smoke. I go knocking on people's doors and tell them to 'Get out, Get out,'" said Julio Griffin.
 
Firefighters are now monitoring hot spots. The American Red Cross will provide assistance to everyone who needs a place to stay. No injuries were reported. 
 
 

Stay updated on this and other stories by downloading the FREE 11Alive News app now in the iTunes store or on Google Play.


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment