THOMSON, GA - An accident Monday morning involving a propane lane in the McDuffie County community of Thomson, killed a man, and injured his father, a county commissioner.
Commissioner Paul McCorkle was listed in fair condition in Augusta after he and his son, Jason McCorkle, 23, apparently ran over a propane gas line on a tractor.
It happened shortly before 11 a.m. near the Belle Meade Country Club.
Two homes caught fire in the explosion, which spread over several acres of land through the afternoon. The fire chief in Thomson said the propane-fueled fire is expected to continue burning for at least 24 more hours.
Law enforcement officials told our sister station WAGT the father and son hit a 30-year-old Dixie Pipeline while clearing land, sparking the explosion and fire.
The fire chief says the valves inside the pipeline are closed, which leaves the fire consuming excess propane in the area, until it can burn itself out.
(WAGT Augusta contributed to this article.)