BEIRUT, Lebanon (NBC) -- The United States has withdrawn all non-emergency Embassy workers and their families from Beirut amid looming military strikes on Syria, the State Department said Friday.
It said the decision had been taken "due to potential threats to U.S. Mission facilities and personnel."
"Given the current situation in Syria and the region, as well as potential threats to U.S. Government facilities and personnel, we are taking these steps out of an abundance of caution to protect our employees and their families, and local employees and visitors to our facilities," a statement said.
FULL COVERAGE | Syrian crisis
"We will continue to assess the situation and to adjust our security posture accordingly."
It also warned Americans to stay out of Lebanon.
Beirut airport is still open and commercial flights out are still available.
It comes after the State Department on Thursday issued a warning against all non-essential travel for U.S. citizens in Iraq because of "ongoing security concerns in Iraq, including kidnapping and terrorist violence."