Los Angeles, Calif. -- Juan Spir and Vikram Hundal won at No. 1 doubles to remain undefeated this spring, but Georgia Tech lost the doubles point and was swept in singles Saturday in dropping a 4-0 decision to San Diego State Saturday in the ITA Kick-Off Weekend consolation match.
Tech dropped to 2-2 this spring and look ahead to a road match against South Carolina Saturday.
The Yellow Jackets lost the doubles point for the first time this season despite the efforts of Spir and Hundal, the nation's third-ranked doubles team who downed Thorsten Bertsch and Hunter Nicholas, 8-6, at No. 1 to improve to 15-1 this year. Garrett Gordon and Eduardo Segura lost in a tiebreaker to Andranik Khachartyan and Derek Siddiqui at No. 2, and Colin Edwards and Nathan Rakitt dropped an 8-6 decision at No. 3 to Shiva Sangwan and Spencer Simon.
Siddiqui continued the Aztecs' momentum with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Spir at No. 1 singles. Nicholas made it 3-0 for SDSU with a three-set victory over Segura at No. 3, and Khachartyan clinched the match with a tight three-set win over Gordon at No. 5.
The remaining matches were suspended.
ITA Kick-Off Weekend Consolation
#66 San Diego State 4, #60 Georgia Tech 0
Jan. 26, 2013 - Los Angeles, Calif. (Marks Stadium)
(1) #3 Hundal/Spir (GT) def. Bertsch/Nicholas (SDSU) - 8-6
(2) Khachartyan/Siddiqui (SDSU) def. Gordon/Segura (GT) - 8-7 (2)
(3) Sangwan/Simon (SDSU) def. Edwards/Rakitt (GT) - 8-6
SDSU wins doubles point
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2*
(1) Derek Siddiqui (SDSU) def. #32 Juan Spir (GT) - 6-4, 6-1
(2) Vikram Hungal (GT) vs. Thorsten Bertsch (SDSU) - 6-4, 0-1 susp.
(3) Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) def. Eduardo Segura (GT) - 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
(4) Nathan Rakitt (GT) vs. Marvin Tawasi (SDSU) - 0-1 susp.
(5) #123 Andranik Khachartyan (SDSU) def. Garrett Gordon (GT) - 6-7 (3), 6-1, 7-5*
(6) Anish Sharma (GT) vs. Juan Florez (SDSU) - DNP
Order of finish: 1, 3, 5*