ATLANTA -- Coming off one of the franchise's most prolific seasons, the Atlanta Falcons swept three categories while football reigned supreme in several others at the sold out 8th annual Atlanta Sports Awards, held tonight at the historic Fox Theatre's Egyptian Ballroom. A total of nine awards were handed out this evening honoring athletes and coaches from around the metro area.
Matt Ryan, Mike Smith and the Atlanta Falcons walked away with Professional Athlete of the Year Presented by SunTrust Sports and Entertainment, Coach of the Year Presented by The Home Depot and Team of the Year Presented by PrimeSport, respectively.
The entire list of award winners is as follows:
Coach of the Year Presented by The Home Depot
• Mike Smith, Atlanta Falcons
Team of the Year Presented by PrimeSport
• Atlanta Falcons
Professional Athlete of the Year Presented by SunTrust Sports and Entertainment
• Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons
Lifetime Achievement Award Presented by Coca-Cola
• Chipper Jones, Atlanta Braves
Community Spirit Award Presented by Georgia Power, a Southern Company
• Ron Hunter, Georgia State Men's Basketball
Collegiate Athlete of the Year Presented by AT&T
• Jarvis Jones, University of Georgia Football
High School Athlete of the Year
• Alvin Kamara - Norcross High School Boy's Football
High School Scholar Athletes of the Year Presented by Georgia Best Chevy Dealers
• Jacob Wieczorek - West Forsyth High School
• Victoria Weprinsky - North Springs Charter High School
The Egyptian Ballroom was packed with current and former athletes and coaches, including:
• Falcons kicker Matt Bryant
• Atlanta Falcons Owner Arthur Blank
• Former Falcon Warrick Dunn
• Co-host and Atlanta radio personality Sandra Golden
• Former NFL quarterback Kordell Stewart
• Atlanta Hawk Lou Williams
• Former Head Coach and Athletic Direct at UGA Vince Dooley
• Atlanta Radio Personality and 680 The Fan Host Buck Beleu
• Atlanta Falcons General Manager Thomas Dimitroff
"When you look around the Fox Theatre tonight and see the level of talented athletes and coaches who are connected to metro Atlanta, it's quite impressive, and it further underscores the role that sports plays in our city," said Dan Corso, executive director of the Atlanta Sports Council. "We congratulate all the winners, finalists and nominees for the individual and team successes they achieved in 2012."
The Atlanta Sports Awards were created in 2006 by the Atlanta Sports Council to honor the most accomplished athletes, coaches and teams at all levels of competition throughout the metro Atlanta community.
ABOUT THE ATLANTA SPORTS AWARDS
Created in 2006 by the Atlanta Sports Council, the Atlanta Sports Awards has become a way to rally the Atlanta sports community to recognize athletic excellence on a yearly basis. The Atlanta Sports Awards honors those who distinguish themselves from among the five million people living in Atlanta. That includes all professional sports teams, universities, junior colleges and more than 250 public and private high schools in Atlanta.
ABOUT THE ATLANTA SPORTS COUNCIL
The Atlanta Sports Council promotes the value of sports growth in Atlanta and Georgia by acting as an authority on the economic impact, visibility and quality of life issues associated with sports. Its mission is to lead, organize and support sports development. The Atlanta Sports Council was created in 1985 under the original name of Sports 2000, and is a division of the Metro Atlanta Chamber.