THE FLATS -- Juan Melian, Juan Spir and Nathan Rakitt each won singles matches for Georgia Tech, but 45th-ranked NC State captured the doubles point and the deciding singles match on court 3 to defeat the Yellow Jackets, 4-3, Sunday at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
The Wolfpack (9-6, 3-1 ACC), who had upset No. 15 Clemson on Friday, completed a successful weekend after Austin Powell held off Tech sophomore Eduardo Segura, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4, in the deciding match. Tech, which has lost three 4-3 matches in conference play this spring, fell to 7-10 overall and 0-4 in the ACC.
The Wolfpack took the doubles point despite a loss on court 1, where Juan Spir and Segura defeated Sean Weber and Thomson, 8-6, to improve to 3-1 since they re-paired two weeks ago. Robbie Mudge and Weigel defeated Rakitt and Melian, 8-4, on court 2, while Beck Bond and Powell took an 8-2 win over Colin Edwards and Garrett Gordon.
Dave Thomson got the Wolfpack started in singles with a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Gordon on court 5, but Rakitt and Melian secured straight-set wins at No. 4 and 1, respectively, to tie the match at 2-2. Rakitt downed Weber, 6-2, 6-3, while Melian eased past Mudge, 6-1, 6-2, each recording their team-leading 19th singles victories this year.
Bond put NC State back ahead with a 6-3, 6-4 victory on court 6 over Colin Edwards, but Spir earned a hard-fought 6-7, 6-2, 7-5 win over Weigel at No. 2 to even the match again at 3-3, leaving it up to Segura and Powell on the third court.
With the match even at a set apiece, Powell broke Segura twice to go ahead 4-0, but the Tech sophomore rallied back with two breaks of his own to get within 5-4 before Powell earned a third service break to close it out.
Tech returns to action Thursday with a 12 noon match at Boston College.
#45 NC State 4, #74 Georgia Tech 3
Mar 24, 2013 at Atlanta, Ga. (Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
1. Juan Melian (GT) def. Robbie Mudge (ST) 6-1, 6-2
2. #84 Juan Spir (GT) def. Thomas Weigel (ST) 6-7 (4-7), 6-2, 7-5
3. Austin Powell (ST) def. Eduardo Segura (GT) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
4. Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Sean Weber (ST) 6-2, 6-3
5. Dave Thomson (ST) def. Garrett Gordon (GT) 6-0, 6-1
6. Beck Bond (ST) def. Colin Edwards (GT) 6-3, 6-4
1. Juan Spir/Eduardo Segura (GT) def. Sean Weber/Dave Thomson (ST) 8-6
2. Robbie Mudge/Thomas Weigel (ST) def. Juan Melian/Nathan Rakitt (GT) 8-4
3. Beck Bond/Austin Powell (ST) def. Garrett Gordon/Colin Edwards (GT) 8-2
NC State 9-6, 3-1; National ranking #45
Georgia Tech 7-10, 0-4; National ranking #74
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,4,1,6,2,3)