LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

McDONOUGH, Ga. -- The Henry County Fire Department believes "Bug Bombs" (insect foggers) are thecause of a large house fire this morning.

Firemen responded to a residential structure fire of a large home this morning just before 8 a.m. The call came injust after "Bug Bombs" were used by people living in the home. First arriving units observed heavy smoke and flames coming from the basement.

Aggressive firefighterskept the fire under control, but the occupants are left with some fire, smoke and water damage to their home.

The Henry County Fire Departmentencourages citizens who attempt torid their home of bugsto follow simple tips that couple prevent domesticfires and/or explosions:

Carefully read the product label first! Product labels provide information on how to use the product safely. Ask for help if you have trouble understanding the instructions.

Turn off all possible ignition sources when using bug bombs. This includes stoves, heaters, and water heaters that have pilot lights. Be sure to turn off all electrical appliances that may generate heat or sparks.

Use only the number of foggers you need for the area you want to treat. You will find that information in the directions. Using more than the recommended number does not eliminate pests faster.

Reduce the need for chemical pesticides. Follow Integrated Pest Management (IPM) practices to keep pests away (cover garbage, keep food in plastic containers, keep house clean, etc.).

Contact a commercial applicator to control the presence of pests if you are experiencing a severe infestation.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.11alive.com/NFxy4h