ATLANTA, Ga - The most controversial call in recent NFL history has many demanding that the league settle the dispute with its missing referees.

The call, made by replacement referees, ended the NFL's Monday night game on a sour note.

Even President Obama called it "terrible."

"Come on, can we please get the real refs back?" Tweeted Arizona Cardinal Patrick Peterson.

Former Georgia Bulldog and longtime NFL kicker Kevin Butler said the league's integrity is as stake.

"Even if the referees are deemed to be doing a good job, the perception now is that they're not," said Butler. "It's the snowball effect, and the snowball is not going to melt. It's only going to get bigger."

The controversial call came as the clock expired in the game pitting the Green Bay Packers against the Seattle Seahawks.

Green Bay's M.D. Jennings appeared to intercept a desperation pass heaved into the end zone. Seattle receiver Golden Tate got a hand on the ball as the two tumbled to the turf and wrestled for possession.

Two replacement referees appeared to disagree over the call. One signaled touchdown, the other waved his arms signaling otherwise.

Ultimately, the play was ruled a touchdown.

"I saw it as an interception by the defense," said Georgia High School referee Tim Tipton. "I think replay confirmed that. It would have been nice to see replay get it right."

The NFL has used replacement referees since the beginning of the season as the traditional referees battle with the league over money.

According to NFL rules, if the ball is caught simultaneously by two opposing players the catch goes to the offense, or in this case, the receiver from Seattle.

But most across the country seem to agree that there was no simultaneous catch, that Jennings had the ball for an interception.

Fans were calling into Atlanta Radio station 790 the Zone to express their anger. One fan is calling for a boycott of NFL games until the real referees are back.

"It's just like when it comes to the government, if you don't like what they're doing, kick them out," the caller said.

The NFL released a statement supporting the decision not to overturn the call, but the league pointed out the replacement referees missed Seattle's receiver shoving another player to the ground.

"This should have been a penalty for offensive pass interference, which would have ended the game," the NFL wrote in their statement.

Butler says he can understand why the refs ruled the catch a touchdown.

"If you sit there and you're struggling with an offensive receiver, and his arms are on the ball, the tie goes to the offensive player, and the offensive player wins," said Butler.

Read or Share this story: