SHARECOMMENTMORE

LAKE PARK, Ga. -- Authorities in Lowndes County say a propane explosion at a restaurant left five people injured and caused severe damage to the building.

Witnesses said workers installing a new air conditioning unit Saturday smelled gas and shut the propane line off at the building in Lake Park. When the line was turned back on, it exploded and destroyed the building's roof and one of its walls.

Fire Chief Richard Guyton says between 80 and 85 percent of the building's interior was damaged. Four employees and a customer were injured and information on their conditions wasn't immediately available. Witnesses said some of the victims suffered cuts from falling ceiling tiles.

Lake Park is about 15 miles south of Valdosta.