LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. -- A captain with the Milton Fire Department was injured Monday afternoon after a gas explosion at his home.

It happened shortly after 1 p.m. in the 1300 block of Sundale Drive in Lawrenceville.

Firefighters arrived on the scene and found a man suffering from burn injuries. He said he was working on the HVAC system.

The man is a retired Fulton County Fire Chief and current Captain with the Milton Fire Department, but Gwinnett Fire officials did not release his name.

He was transported to Grady Hospital with burns on his hands and torso.

Gwinnett County arson investigators preliminary found the fire started after a gas explosion in the area of the basement where the man was working.

Read or Share this story: