LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

EAST POINT, Ga. -- Fire officials said Tuesday that a fatal fire that took the life of a man caring for his elderly mother was "accidental in nature."

Neighbors on Gillem Road in East Point say the "great guy" who died overnight was taking care of his elderly mother.

Neighbor Rashad Cain pointed to the burned-out house Tuesday morning and said, "It was his mother's house. She's been very ill from my understanding and he's been taking care of the household and holding things down so it was very unfortunate when we heard the news that he had passed."

PHOTOS | At the scene of deadly East Point fire

Authorities say the alarm came in just before 1 a.m. Firefighters were on the scene minutes later and found the one story brick house fully involved in flames. They were forced into a defensive position. Twenty minutes later, when the fire was out, a search crew went through the house.

That's when they discovered the body of a 34-year-old black man. A spokesman for the East Point Fire Department said there was no obvious signs of trauma, and foul play is not suspected.

The identity of the man is being withheld until family members are notified.

Officials said the fire originated in the living room, and appears to have been caused by a candle igniting a sofa. Investigators said the home did not have a working smoke alarm.

East Point fire officials were going through the neighborhood Tuesday afternoon to ensure local residents have working smoke alarms.

"Today we will be canvassing the neighborhood where the fire occurred with fire safety information, and offer to install smoke alarms as well as provide home inspections," said East Point Fire Chief Rosemary Cloud in a statement.

Read or Share this story: http://on.11alive.com/1fIzBLa