SHARECOMMENTMORE

ALISO VIEJO, Calif. -- A 4-year-old boy fell on a trip to a beach in California and hurt his knee.

Young Paul dinged his knee against a rock.

He had a wound that kept growing for a couple weeks, and doctors first called it a staph infection. They prescribed the boy antibiotics, but they didn't work, leaving a swollen black bump underneath the skin.

His mother, Rachael became tired of waiting. Against the wishes of doctors, she said once it got the size of an orange, she squeezed it with her fingers and a snail popped out.

The family assumes the snail got under Paul's skin when he scuffed his knee.

A snail's egg grew and had babies inside. The boy was not harmed.

"I thought it was kind of crazy," he said.

Paul named the snail Turbo.

CNN contributed to this report.

SHARECOMMENTMORE