AUGUSTA -- More 762 area codes are coming to Georgia in the coming months, because combinations for the 706 code were exhausted last week, reports The Augusta Chronicle.
The 762 area code isn't new, but it will be more widely used, said John Manning, director of the North American Number Planning Association, the group that administers telephone numbers in the U.S., its territories and Canada.
The 762 area code was added in 2006 as an overlay code for the 706 zone because of the growing amount of phone, computer and cell phone lines, the Augusta paper reports. The 706 and 762 region includes metro Augusta, Athens, Columbus and north Georgia.
"As the area continues to grow and more numbers are needed, we are going to see more and more 762 prefixes," Manning said.
* Feds allow US Airways-American merger to go forward
* State regents approve KSU-SPSU merger
* Amazon, USPS to team up for Sunday delivery
* Top 11 Black Friday secrets
* Black Friday (or Thursday) store hours