STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- The United States Attorney's Office has charged Calvin Darden Jr., 39, with impersonating his father -- a former United Parcel Service executive -- in an alleged scheme to purchase Maxim magazine.

Darden Jr., who lives in Staten Island, N.Y., was arrested Wednesday in connection with two schemes in which he defrauded victims of more than $8 million and attempted to defraud another victim of approximately $20 million, according to a statement released by the FBI.

He is charged with two counts of wire fraud, each of which carries a maximum term of 20 years in prison, the FBI said.

In September, Alpha Media Group Inc., which is partially owned by Cerberus Capital Management, announced an agreement to sell Maxim to Darden Media Group, a company headed by Calvin Darden Sr. It was unclear from court documents whether Darden Jr. was involved in that deal, which did not go through.

The deal, worth $30 million, was to include Maxim's U.S. magazine, sold in 49 countries, 15 international editions, an events business and digital assets, Bloomberg reported in September.

According to the FBI, in one scheme, Darden Jr. tricked several lenders into providing more than $8 million in financing for the potential acquisition of Maxim magazine and related assets. In the other scheme, Darden obtained $500,000 from a Taiwan-based company by falsely claiming that he was arranging for the New York Knicks to play an exhibition game in Taiwan.

Darden repeatedly impersonated his father during phone calls and in emails, and forged his father's signature on documents related to the potential purchase of Maxim, the FBI said. He is the son of Calvin Darden Sr., a former vice president of U.S. operations at UPS.

This is not the first time Darden has faced criminal charges. In 2005, the former stockbroker pleaded guilty in New York state to charges he stole almost $6 million from 11 people.

Darden was sentenced to four to 12 years in prison. He was released in September 2008 and returned to jail in August 2010 for less than two months due to a parole violation, a spokeswoman for the New York State Department of Corrections said.

Read or Share this story: