Tampa, FL (SportsNetwork.com) - After shocking the baseball world with last week's revelation that 2014 would be his last year in the majors, New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter spoke publicly for the first time about the matter.
Jeter met with the media Wednesday at George M. Steinbrenner Field to discuss his decision to retire at the conclusion of the upcoming campaign.
The Yankees captain unveiled his plans a week ago via a Facebook post. He had no prepared statement and just took questions at the press conference, saying, "I said everything that I wanted to say in my message."
Jeter battled through an injury-plagued 2013 season, appearing in only 17 games because of a myriad of problems, and said his decision had "nothing to do with how I feel physically" and declared that he feels great.
The 13-time All-Star, who turns 40 in June, felt the time was right.
"I think I've done it long enough and I look forward to doing some other things in my life," he said.