ATLANTA -- Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal has requested more than $40 million in federal disaster relief to help the state regroup from a winter storm earlier this month.
In a release Wednesday, Deal said he requested more than $43 million in federal disaster relief from President Barack Obama. Deal says the damage estimate covered 48 counties, including several in the metro Atlanta area.
"The storm brought destructive levels of ice that far exceeded anything we've seen in decades, and state and local agencies had to mobilize significant resources to protect lives and property and get Georgia back to normal as quickly as possible," Deal said. "The costs associated with this storm far exceed the federal threshold for a disaster declaration. These are significant expenses for the state, and a declaration by the president will allow us to recoup 75 percent of the eligible costs with federal assistance. We greatly appreciate the cooperation we've received from FEMA in this response effort."
The 48 counties are: Baldwin, Bartow, Bulloch, Burke, Butts, Candler, Carroll, Cherokee, Cobb, Columbia, Coweta, Dade, Dawson, DeKalb, Emanuel, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gilmer, Glascock, Hancock, Haralson, Heard, Jasper, Jefferson, Jenkins, Johnson, Jones, Lamar, McDuffie, Meriwether, Monroe, Morgan, Newton, Paulding, Pickens, Pike, Polk, Richmond, Screven, Spalding, Upson, Walker, Warren, Washington, White, Whitfield and Wilkes.
The storm in early February coated many areas of the state with ice and left hundreds of thousands of people without power.
Deal says Georgia Emergency Management Agency Director Charley English will work with the Federal Emergency Management to assess any further damages, and will provide additional justification for the request if necessary.
ICE STORM COVERAGE | See the stories, video and galleries of this month's ice storm here