PHILADELPHIA (WCAU) -- A shooting inside a Philadelphia high school has left two students shot and police are still searching for the person responsible.

"Two kids, a male and a female, both shot in the arm" is the call that went out over police radio minutes after the shooting on Friday afternoon.

The shooting happened just before 3:30 p.m. at the Delaware Valley Charter School at 5201 Old York Road in the Olney section of the city, Philadelphia Police say.

A teen boy, who attends the school, pulled out a handgun inside the school's gymnasium and then the weapon fired. Police say they are still searching for him and it's currently unclear if the shooting was intentional or accidental.

A boy and a girl, both 15-years-old, were injured in the shooting, which took place near the gymnasium, police said. The boy was hit in the arm and the girl appears to have been grazed by the same bullet, police tell NBC station WCAU.

Both victims were rushed to Albert Einstein Medical Center, which is just a block north of the high school.

The girl was discharged from the hospital around 6 p.m., but the boy remains hospitalized.

Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey says there were seven students inside the gym when the shooting happened and that the entire incident was caught on surveillance video.

At the height of the investigation immediately following the shooting, Philadelphia Police used surveillance video to identify alleged suspects. However, after questioning at least one teen who was taken into custody, police say the shooter remains at large.

Police descended on the home of a 15-year-old student from South Philadelphia and brought him in for questioning. Officials said they thought he was either the shooter or was with the shooter.

But hours later, that teen was released and, police say, will not be charged.

Family members of the teen, angry over his implication, toldWCAU he was a "straight A student." That same family member, an uncle who wished to remain anonymous, said his nephew's involvement in the shooting must be some kind of mistake.

Another teen, a 16-year-old boy, is also being questioned at Philadelphia Police's Northwest Detective Division. Investigators say they are considering him a co-conspirator, but do not believe he is the shooter.

Investigators are also waiting for a third teen to come in for questioning.

"It's just like any other investigation, now we're able to talk with the people that were shot, the victims, able to talk with some of the kids that may have seen what took place," Ramsey said.

As of Friday night, the search for the suspect continues.

SEPTA Police searched trash cans and station concourses to see if the gun used was dumped. So far, those searches have been futile.

Delaware Valley Charter School is one of 87 charter schools in Philadelphia. Charter schools are independent of the School District of Philadelphia. The school serves more than 600 students in grades 9 through 12.

The school was placed on lockdown following the shooting and was quickly secured.

"We had good response and were able to lock this down very, very quickly and get information very quickly as to who the suspect was and be able to locate that person very quickly and so this one worked out for us," Ramsey said.

Officials say students were searched and then released on a one-by-one basis. The school was completely cleared at 5:30 p.m.

Parents told NBC10 reporters on the scene that there have been several fights at the school recently and that they had concerns about safety.

Police say the school does have security. The building is also equipped with metal detectors, so investigators are trying to figure out how the student was able to get the gun into the school.


* Student shot near high school in Albany, Ga.
$70,000 in Newtown donations missing
* College gun bill likely to get GA legislature priority
* Attorneys: Michael Hill not competent to stand trial
* Shooting at Denver area high school

Read or Share this story: