LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. -- Investigators with the Gwinnett County Fire Department have determined that thefire that destroyed Dreamland BBQ in Peachtree Corners on January 16 was accidental in nature.
Officials said in a release Thursday that the fire was caused by a neon sign transformer in the attic of the business. They said the transformer was not in use by Dreamland and was left over from the prior tenants of the building. They said the transformer caused electrical arcing in the attic, which led to the fire.
A 911 caller reported smoke coming from the attic the night of the fire. The manager was able to clear all of the customers and employees before fire crews arrived.
"Due in part to the quick thinking and actions of the manager, many lives were spared," said Colin Rhoden, Public Information Officer for Gwinnett County Fire, "His actions not only ensured the safety of those at the restaurant but also assisted the responders to the fire incident."
The building was a total loss in the blaze. No injuries were reported.