ATLANTA -- It was a national day of doing good.
In communities from coast to coast, and here in Atlanta, millions volunteered on projects to make their neighborhoods better.
It's all part of National Make a Difference Day. It's part of USA Today's effort to improve communities. 11Alive's parent company Gannett owns USA Today.
11Alive volunteers teamed up with Hands On Atlanta and the Arby's Foundation at Belmont Hills Elementary School in Smyrna.
Besides tutoring and planting a vegetable garden, the school hopes to start a unique backpack program. The program fills backpacks with food for kids to have over the weekend. The goal is fight childhood hunger.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE DAY COVERAGE:
- Slideshow of people making a difference
- 11Alive helps tutor and feed kids
- Three million volunteers join forces on Make a Difference Day
- Learn More about Make a Difference Day
- Learn more about Hands on Atlanta