ATLANTA -- Several Little Five Points-area businesses were evacuated after smelling gas Tuesday morning.

Atlanta Fire spokeswoman Janet Ward said fire crews have shut a 2-block length of Moreland Avenue between Front Page News and the Vortex due to high gas readings in the sewer system.

Owners and customers were removed from all the nearby businesses.

Ward said the smell was caused by a spill at a nearby gas station Monday night. The spill came after a car hit a gas pump at a nearby gas station. Some of the spilled gas overflowed into a sewer.

It became even more difficult for the gas to evaporate, due to the cold weather.

Clean-up continued through the afternoon. City officials said they hoped to reopen the streets sometime Tuesday evening.

Read or Share this story: