ATLANTA -- The Georgia Tech student injured in an explosion in his Midtown apartment last monthhas died, the Fulton County Medical Examiner has confirmed.

Saamer Akhshabi suffered third-degree burns over 90 percent of his body in the Feb. 4 incident.Lighter fluid and a charred pillow and mattress were found inside the apartment, along with the apparent Molotov cocktail and several plastic bottles filled with gasoline and kerosene.

PHOTOS |Grad student burned by incendiary device

Akhshabi passed away early Thursday. An autopsy will be performed to determine if he died as a result of his burns or of organ failure.

Akhshabi was native of Iran. He graduated in 2009 from the University of Tehran with a B.S. in computer engineering, according to Georgia Tech.

There was no evidence of criminal wrongdoing in the explosion. Georgia Tech Police Department Interim Chief Robert Connolly issued a statement saying, "We have worked closely with other law enforcement agencies during the investigation of this tragic incident. The FBI has relayed that, to date, they have not developed any information or evidence indicating criminal intent in this investigation. The FBI's response to the scene was based on information at that time, to include descriptors of a 'device.' As a result of the above, it was determined that Mr. Akshabi was not a threat to the Georgia Tech community. He was an excellent student and this was an unfortunate situation. We are all saddened by the death of this young man, and our thoughts are with his family."

Read or Share this story: