ATLANTA, Ga. -- The 2014 Boston Marathon will be off and running Monday morning -- the first one since a bombing at last year's event killed three people and injured dozens more.
Some of Atlanta's own were running the race when the bombs went off, but are heading back this year.
11Alive's Kaitlyn Ross caught up with one runner as he boarded the plane to Boston, with why he's running again this year.
Marathoner Mike Wein isn't scared to go back to Boston.
"This year will be very different. It will be a celebration of bringing the race back, it's also a celebration of the resilience of people," he said.
Wein finished an hour and a half before the bombs went off last year, and says the care and concern from his friends and family was overwhelming.
"Emails, voicemails, text messages and links, of people wanting to know I was ok. And that's when I realized that's what's important to me is the friends that I have," he said.
He's going back for his 10th Boston marathon this year to support the survivors and family members of the victims.
"You take a look at the survivors, and their stories, and all they accomplished in the year with all the tragedy they faced, what an inspiration to all of us," he said.
Wein says this run will be about them.
And security is making sure to keep it that way.
Runners are not allowed to wear a backpack, camelback, or wear bulky clothing.
He says Boston's finest will be out in full force.
"I'll make sure that any first responder or police officer, I will give a shout out as I run by, and a big thank you," he said.
For Wein, his 10th Boston Marathon will be to honor everyone who was there last year.