836 95 LINKEDIN 1 COMMENTMORE

(WBIR) The family who owned the Fireworks Superstore that burst into flames on Sunday vow to rebuild.

The store has been there since 2008, but the family has been in the fireworks business since the 1940's, and hope to continue.

"It's a bad feeling. But you know what. We are strong but we will get there we will get through it. We will rebuild. It's not the end of us," said Tyson Stowers, son of the store's owner.

There is still no official word on what started the fire. State fire officials are investigating.

We will hear more from the family on 10News at 5 and later on WBIR.com.

Previous story

The Fireworks Superstore has been a sight to see and a place to stop along Interstate 75 since 2008. Now, it is a total loss after a fire destroyed the building Sunday afternoon.

Campbell County dispatch said the call came in around 4:15 p.m.

Autoplay
Show Thumbnails
Show Captions

The store, located at the Huntsville/Oneida 141 exit of I-75, was open when the fire started, but everyone made it out safe after a smoke detector went off.

Flames could be seen through the roof when the first officer arrived, according to officials on the scene.

Video sent to 10News showed flames and smoke billowing into the sky Sunday afternoon.

Heavy flames and smoke took over a Campbell County fireworks store Sunday afternoon. The fire happened at a store at the Huntsville/Oneida 141 exit of I-75, according to Campbell County authorities. Travis Worsowicz

As the flames grew, fireworks began shooting off from the store, that started other fires around the surrounding area, which led officials to close down the nearby interstate.

Firefighters told 10News the long drive to get there made the damage worse.

This isn't the first time a fireworks stand has gone up in flames in the area.

"We had another one of these about four or five years ago. Down town Caryville that burnt," Robert Stooksbury with Caryville Fire Department said, "so we have a little experience with this unfortunately. But when you see something like this with exploding shells you know you have to go defensive and stay back."

Crews had the fire out within the next couple hours with no injuries all around.

"It was the grace of the lord above that everybody go out safe and none of our firefighters were hurt and everybody got out well," said Stooksbury.

As of Saturday night, the fire marshal planned to continue his investigation Monday morning.

Store owner, Angela Stowers, said she has insurance on the building but does not yet know her next step.

836 95 LINKEDIN 1 COMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wbir.com/1lLy7mQ