Four hurt in fire sparked by burning candle

Gwinnett firefighters say lit candle was part of a religious observance

Four residents of a Gwinnett County home were injured, one critically, in a fire sparked by a lit candle.

The blaze, which happened early Wednesday morning, broke out in a home in the 3300 block of Stanford Circle, NW.

Gwinnett firefighters say three people escaped the flames on their own, but firemen rescued a fourth person, an elderly woman, from an interior stairwell. She is in critical condition at Gwinnett Medical Center.

Loading ...

“This fire is a prime example of why a burning candle should never be left unattended,” said Gwinnett Fire Captain Tommy Rutledge.

Rutledge said the candle was part of a religious shrine, and was left burning when the family went to bed. He said fire damage was confined to the family room of the house, but added there was smoke and water damage in other rooms.

He also said the home did not have a working smoke detector.